Newsletter No 3 in 2018
Dear iarigai Members,
It is our great pleasure to inform you in brief about the news highlights since June 2018.
51st General Assembly of the Members
During the 45th International Research Conference in Warsaw, the 51st General Assembly (GA) of members took place on October 4, chaired by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gunter Hübner, the president. The annual Report of the board for 2017/18 was accepted with the chief highlights as follows:
- The financial statement for 2017 on revenues and expenses by Moog & Partners, Darmstadt, Germany, was accepted and the Financial plan for 2019 approved.
- The 46th International scientific conference of iarigai in 2019 will be organized at the Stuttgart Media University (HdM) in Germany, by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gunter Hübner as host and conference director; the conference fees will remain in the same range as in past years.
- The 47th International scientific conference of iarigai in 2020 will take place at Clemson University, South Carolina, USA, at the University Department in Greenville; Prof. Nona Woolbright will serve as conference director.
- Two new iarigai member institutions were introduced: Xi’an University of Technology from Xi’an, China, represented by Prof. Linlin Liu, and the Danish School of Media and Journalism from Copenhagen, represented by Prof. Michael Abildgaard Pederson.
- IRG – iarigai Research Grant: the call for applications was open until October 31, 2018 for the grants to be used during 2019. The applications will be evaluated during the board meeting in November 2018.
- The new web site: gratitude was expressed to Mr. Fons Put for his great effort and excellent contribution in managing the concept and introduction of the new web site! Mr. Put invited the members to publish the news from their institutions at the iarigai web site, i.e. to use the web site as a platform for exchange of information among the members.
- Publishing issues: the president informed the GA about the intentions of merging the iarigai JPMTR journal and the IC journal. He reported on the first steps in preparation of the merging process as well as on the opportunity of co-location of the iarigai and IC conferences, which will be used to advantage for a number of meetings among the responsible persons from both associations.
- The special publication of the Advances to mark the occasion of the 50th anniversary of iarigai was presented. The publication comprises a valuable history of the association written by responsible people at that time, amongst them current iarigai honorary members.
- The president informed the GA about the termination of the membership for two board members; Mr. Fons Put and Prof. Dr. Edgar Dörsam. For Mr. Put the board membership expired after three subsequent terms followed by one additional year of membership. For Prof. Dr. Edgar Dörsam it was on his request during his second term. The president used the opportunity to express the warmest gratitude to both board members for their contribution to the Association and fruitful cooperation.
- The candidates for the vacant board positions were presented by the president, both nominees, Dr. Erzsébet Novotny from PNYME, Hungary, and Dr. Li Yang from Innventia (RISE), Sweden were strongly supported by the representatives.
Accordingly, the GA confirmed the Board as follows:
- Gunter Hübner, president
- Ian Baitz, member
- Dr. Fritz Bircher, member
- Patrick Gane, member
- Erzsébet Novotny, member
- Cathy Ridgway, member
- Li Yang, member
- Dr. Fritz Bircher from the iPrint Institute, Fribourg, Switzerland, was elected as the iarigai vice-president during the board meeting following the GA.
45th iarigai Conference 2018
The 45th iarigai Conference took place in Warsaw, Poland, from October 3rd to 7th 2018 at Warsaw University of Technology, Department of Printing Technologies, hosted by Prof. Georgij Petriaszwili as conference director and Prof. Zuzanna Żołek-Tryznowska as co-director. The conference was co-located with the 50th annual conference of the International Circle (IC); both conferences were to contribute to the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Department of Printing Technologies.
The scientific program of the iarigai conference consisted of 24 papers from 15 countries, organized in 6 sessions: Print and User Interaction; Graphic Design; Substrate and Materials; Printing Processes and Products; Print Quality and Printed Functionality. The conference was frequented by 42 registered participants from 20 countries. Our hosts made all of them feel very comfortable during the Conference days. All five iarigai honorary members were guests at the conference.
The keynote speakers at the jubilee session on the last day of the conference came from industrial partners such as Heidelberg and from the Polish Printing Industry Association.
The prize for the best paper and presentation was granted to Mr. Mustafa Bilgin and Prof. Dr.-Ing. Johannes Backhaus from University of Wuppertal, Germany for their paper “Development of a Unidirectional Switchable Photochromic Ink for Smart Packaging”. It was handed over during the official jubilee session on the last conference day.
The conference closure took place at the great main building of the University of Technology, where, in the evening, the gala dinner with ceremonial programme followed by a ball for ca. 600 guests was organized.
An optional social programme was offered on the next day (Sunday). The sightseeing guided tour led through the famous baroque residence castle of King Jan III and the Copernicus Science Centre.
With kind regards,